Get an eyewitness account of the events surrounding the most devastating natural - and man-made - disaster on American soil with a local’s chronology of events leading up to Hurricane Katrina and the days immediately following the disaster.
On this tour you will:
- Learn the history of the original city, the French Quarter, and why it was built at this particular location along the Mississippi River
- Drive past an actual levee that “breached” and see the resulting devastation that displaced hundreds of thousands of U.S. residents
- Learn the direct connection between America’s disappearing coastal wetlands, oil and gas pipelines, levee protection and hurricane destruction
- See the Lakeview, Gentilly, St. Bernard, and the Ninth Ward neighborhoods
- See the volume and variety of products “offloaded” in the multimodal port of New Orleans, the second largest port in the country, and then distributed to your hometown
- Understand how 30% of the seafood (fish, crabs, shrimp, oysters, and crawfish) harvested in the lower 48 states comes from the coastal wetlands in South Louisiana
- Have a better understanding of events pre- and post-Katrina and the “Rebirth of New Orleans!”
NOTE: Gray Line contributes 1 USD per passenger on this tour to LowerNine.org, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization involved in the long-term recovery of New Orleans’ historic Lower Ninth Ward.