Half-day tour to Monreale and Palermo
- Visit the world-known Cathedral of Monreale with its golden mosaics
- Explore Palermo with a walking tour of the city center
- Visit a typical open-air market - Ballarò
- See Piazza Pretoria and its "four corners"
Today a short drive take us to Monreale, to see where the Arab-Norman art and architecture reached the pinnacle of its glory with the Duomo, built in 1174 by William II. It represents scenes from the Old and New Testaments all in golden mosaics.
You will then transfer to Palermo for a 2-hour walking tour of the city center. The walking tour will start with the lively Ballarò Market, a place overflowing with beautiful fresh fish, and local vegetables and cheese. Originating from the era when Sicily was occupied by the moors, this 1000-year old market has run much in the same manner for centuries. It has strong Arab influences, resembling an eastern souk, and these influences are also evident in the merchandise itself. Next to mounds of ricotta and caciocavallo cheese, barrels of olives and fat slabs of swordfish sit saffron and other spices, as well as sacks of beans and gorgeous indigenous fruit and local vegetables. Here you will have the opportunity to taste a typical palermitano dish, the famous Panelle (a thin paste of crushed ceci/garbanzo beans rolled into sheets, fried and served in pizza-like slices).
Then, walk to Piazza Pretoria to see the famous “four corners” converge in a quartet of baroque palaces from the climax of the Spanish rule dating from 1560. Continue with a short stroll towards Via Maqueda, with the external view of Teatro Massimo (The Opera House) and Politeama Theater. The visit will end in Piazza Ruggero Settimo.
- Vehicle/coach with air conditioning
- English speaking Tour Director/Driver-Escort
- Walking tour of Palermo city center
- All sightseeing and visits as per itinerary
- Gratuities and tips
- Meals and beverages
- Travel insurance
- Admission fees
- Licensed tourist guide at Monreale Dome if less than 6 people on the tour
- Admission Fees
Piazza Ruggiero Settimo, 16, 90139 Palermo PA, Italy
Piazza Ruggero Settimo 15 - Palermo (between Politeama Hotel and Prada store)
Departure time and details will be shared at the time of booking.
- Departure from Palermo
- This tour is land only.
- Number of participants: minimum 2 - maximum 18
- This tour is operated only with a Driver-Escort for groups up to 5 people. The visit to the Cathedral of Monreale will be independent. The Driver Escort is not a Licensed Tourist Guide. The Driver Escort is not a Licensed Tourist Guide. Licensed Tourist Guide: are the only professionals, with a Regional license, permitted to conduct visits and tours in all sites and museums within a city. The Driver Escort cannot escort people inside the monuments because this is not allowed by Italian law. However, he has the competences to promote the most important highlights providing basic historical & cultural information.
- For 6 to 8 people, the tour is operated with a Driver Escort and a licensed Tour Guide on the spot to visit the Cathedral of Monreale.
- From more than 8 people, this tour is operated with a Tour Director. Licensed Tourist Guide is provided on the spot to visit the Cathedral of Monreale.
- Please note: the price of this tour does not include the admission fees.
- Our agency does not discriminate in any way based on religion, race/national origin, political affiliation or any other factors. We reserve the right to expel from the tour any participant whose behavior toward other participants obviously does not conform to this policy. It is important that our tours be undertaken in a social environment which creates a friendly, memorable experience for all participants. Thank you for your understanding.
Monday at 8.45am
Enjoy this guided tours, professional tastings and delicious pairings with traditional Sicilian dish...
The Selinunte Tour will allow you to experience the best of Sicily. Located on the south-west coast ...
Through this 3-hour walking tour you will have the chance to visit, with a private guide, the beauti...
This private tour, lasting for about 3.5 hours, will give you the opportunity to explore the culture...
The cloister belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of S. Maria la Nuova, founded in 1174 at the behest ...
This tour starts from Marina of Villa Igiea at about 9.30 am in the morning and 3.30 pm in the after...