Video guide tour of the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi
- Visit the beautiful Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi with the help of a video guide
- Learn about the history and architecture of one of the most famous pilgrimage sites in the world, with the assistance of audio content and a map
- Admire Giotto's, Cimabue's and Lorenzetti's masterpieces while listening to the audio commentary
Among the most famous pilgrimages in the world, the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi hosts, since 1230, the mortal remains of the eponymous saint. The entire building is made up of three superimposed churches linked to different phases of construction: the crypt with burial function, the Lower Church which is linked to the Umbrian Romanesque and the Upper Church, in French Gothic style.
After collecting your video guide, created with the help of the friars of the sanctuary, you'll start the tour from the Lower Basilica, where you can admire the fresco barreled vault of the apse and down in the crypt, relics of St. Francis.
The visit will continue in the Upper Church, with slim and bright ribbed vaults. Here, you'll admire Cimabue's frescoes, decorating the transept, the choir and those of Giotto, that tell of St. Francis' life from the aisle walls.
With 54 different listening points, 1 hour and 15 minutes of audio content and a map included, it will be a truly unforgettable visit.
- Video guide
- Visitors must leave a valid ID to collect the video guide
- The video guide is available in Italian, English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Portuguese
- The Basilica may be closed due to religious services, funerals or extraordinary events
- Tickets are individual
- Admission to the Basilica is always free for individual visitors
- Monday to Saturday from 8.00am to 5.30pm (Video guides rental up to 4.15pm)
- Closing Days of the Basilica: Every Sunday, July 1st 2017 (due to mass in the Lower Basilica; audio guide renting is possible starting from 1.30pm), August 14th to 15th 2017, 3rd to 4th October 2017, November 1st 2017, December 8th 2017, December 25th to 26th 2017
- Opening Hours Basilica of St. Francis (standard time)
- Upper Church: from 8.30am to 6.00pm (Entry 5.45pm)
- Lower Church and Tomb: from 6.00am to 6.00pm
- The lower church is open until 7.30pm, Except on Wednesdays for prayer only 7.30pm
- Opening Hours Basilica of St. Francis (daylight saving time)
- Upper Church: from 8.30am to 6.50pm
- Lower Church and Tomb: from 6.00am to 6.50pm
- The Lower Church is open until 8.00pm, except on Wednesdays only for prayer
Treat yourself to some of Italy’s finest wine and food at the family-run winery and farm of Antonell...
Perugia is the capital of Umbria and one of the local hill towns, a city full of charm and history. ...
Discover more than 2,500 years of Italian history on a private, 3-hour walking tour of Orvieto. Admi...
With your guide, you will walk along Perugia's city walls dating from the Etruscan Age, get lost in ...
On this 2.5-hour private tour you'll walk through the picturesque city of Perugia with a dedicated g...
A "must do" when you visit Assisi is seeing the beautiful Basilica of St. Francis, built in the XIII...