Jewish Ghetto stroll with wine and appetizers
- Explore the historic Jewish Quarter of Venice
- Experience three authentic Venetian wine bars, sought out by locals
- Savor bite-size versions of local delicacies called 'cicchetti'
- Enhance each tasting with local wine and tips from your guide
Experience the quiet hours of Venice, the best time to experience the true Venetian culture, when light is waning and locals go to their favorite bars for food, drinks and fun. It is a social moment when the hectic pace of the day turns into a relaxed stroll and the canals are at their best. If you were looking for a chance to experience the local version of 'happy hour', this is your chance! Learn more about Venetian tradition as you discover the historic Jewish quarter, tasting new wines and cicchetti appetizers.
This wine and food tour begins by exploring the Jewish Quarter in the Cannaregio district, an area considered an authentically Venetian by locals. The Jewish Quarter was the first of its kind in the world and served as inspiration for Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice. It is still an active center for the Jewish community, and its alleyways, bridges and canals have maintained a unique identity throughout the ages. You’ll enjoy this stroll away from the tourist crowds, with shops and restaurants that offer a high level of service, making it a place where many locals go to wind down after a hard day of work. Your guide is highly qualified to show you have real Venetians live and you can experience them as a real insider.
Take your time with your group to amble along the way and enjoy a traditional open-air market, fascinating shops and other unique places. You’ll visit three popular bàcari (wine bars) that will seem like they just came out of an Italian movie. Wine glasses and bottle line the brick and stone walls. You’ll taste a variety of Italian finger foods of various shapes and sizes, known as cicchetti.
Enjoy and participate in lively conversations while tasting local delicacies like expertly seasoned and fried meatballs, creamy codfish mousse or a creative bruschetta, you’ll always find the best of the day’s market in these one-of-a-kind creations. Each sampling will be paired with an ombra, a small glass of one of the regions many renowned varieties of wine (and included together with the food in the tour price). Your guide will share fascinating insights such as how the word ombra, which means 'shadow', comes from a centuries-old tradition when merchants would sell their wine in the shadow of St. Mark’s bell tower in order to keep themselves, and the wine, cool. Your guide will take you into the heart of this spirit, which still continues today. Relax and enjoy a pleasant evening in your group of 12 people or less and before the night is over, soak in some of the city’s breathtaking views and hidden treasures. You will also learn the history behind the Venetian culture and how to make the most of it. That’s the best part; beyond delighting in the food and wine adventure itself, you’ll leave with the courage and insight necessary to continue the adventure on your own!
- Expert, English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 12 people or fewer
- Food: a selection of cicchetti
- Beverage: 2 glasses of wine and 1 glass of Prosecco
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Children: 0-3 year olds travel for free and do not require a reservation (strollers or baby carriages are not allowed on this tour)
- Reduced price for 4-14 year olds with ID
Fondamenta Cannaregio, 1279, 30121 Venezia VE, Italy
At the foot of the east side (away from the train station) of the bridge Ponte delle Guglie, next to the restaurant "Trattoria alla Palazzina".
- Unfortunately, due to the particular kind of appetizers served in Venice’s typical wine bars, they cannot meet special dietary requirements of our clients, such as gluten-free, vegan, etc. options
- We regret that we are unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. We are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours
- This service ends near Campo della Maddalena around 8.30pm
- Departure Times: 11.00am or 6.00pm
- Meeting Time: 10.45am or 5.45pm
Padua's history, culture and traditions turned it into one of the most charming and picturesque citi...
The Naval History Museum of the Italian Navy contains objects related to the maritime history of the...
Rolling Venice is a discount card for young people between 6 and 29 years of age who want to move fr...
Arrival: once at the arrivals hall exit, meet with a member of staff with a sign for M&G service and...
Arrival: as soon as you get off the train, contact the number we will provide and confirm your arriv...
Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the main highlights of Venice: The Doge’s Palace and St. Mark's ...