Hadrian’s Wall Half-Day Tour
- Visit Hadrian's Wall, a UNESCO world heritage site and explore the site and museum of this multi-cultural settlement
- Learn about the ruthless and creative culture that conquered much of the known world
Hadrian’s Wall, the UNESCO world heritage site, was the frontier of the Roman Empire. The frontier extended for 80 Roman miles and covers many landscapes. On this half-day tour, we will focus on two of the forts at the east end of the wall, Segedunum and Arbeia. Both forts are home to fantastic reconstructions of the Roman way of life; you will be able to step into the Roman world and learn about the ruthless but creative culture that conquered much of the known world.
You will start the tour at Arbeia Roman Fort and explore the site and museum of this multi-cultural settlement where Mesopotamians and Britians lived, worked and married side by site. Explore the reconstruction of the commanding officer's house and discover the Roman Mediterranean home away from home. You will then take a lunch break before heading to the fort of Segedunum – now called Wallsend – home to the mixed cavalry and infantry unit of Belgians.
It's the ideal tour for those who love history, wish to discover more about the Romans still remaining close to an urban area.
- Tour of Arbeia and Segedunum Roman Forts
Children (0-15): reduced
Central Station, Neville Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne
- While Segedunum is open throughout the year, Arbiea closes for winter. Between the 30th of September and 30th of March we will visit the Great North Museum Hancock instead, which contains many amazing Roman findings
- Dress warmly with waterproofs as the weather is always changeable
- The terrain on the tour can be uneven and hilly due to the North East of England’s natural topography
- Please make sure to select the correct price, depending on your group size: select for all your tickets the "small group" price tag if you are booking 1 to 7 tickets, or the "large group" price tag if you are booking 8 to 16 tickets
- When booking, please let us know if children under 6 years of age will be travelling with you
From Monday to Saturday at 9:30 am or 1:00 pm
In only an hour your guide will help you to scratch beneath the surface of the northern city to disc...
Discover historical Durham, at the centre of which you'll find the UNESCO heritage site of Durham Ca...
Follow your guide down Grey Street for a chilling introduction to Newcastle, Necromancers, Explosion...
Immerse yourself in Newcastle’s rich past and handsome architecture on a 2-hour walking tour around ...
Hadrian’s Wall is a UNESCO world heritage site and the frontier of the Roman Empire. Join the day-lo...
Ann Cleeves’ brilliant and no-nonsense DCI Vera Stanhope (Actress Brenda Blethyn) in her trademark m...