This tour takes you on an amazing adventure from San Francisco, across the Golden Gate Bridge, into a magical redwood forest known as Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve, and to boutique wineries in the Russian River of Sonoma County!
On the Red Woods & Wine Country Tour, you will visit the Armstrong Redwoods SNR to see coastal sequoias (Redwoods) that are taller (310 feet/95 meters), bigger (15 feet/4.6 meters wide), and older (1400 years old) than the trees in Muir Woods as well as a seasonal waterfall! On the drive to Armstrong Redwoods, your knowledgeable tour guide will explain how this grove of redwoods was spared from the clear-cutting that went on during the gold rush. Before you arrive at the park, there will be a quick stop at a café for drinks and snacks.
The tour will also take you to visit boutique wineries in the Russian River of Sonoma County where you will get a chance to sample some of the finest wines California has to offer. The tour will stop at three wineries: a family-owned vineyard, a tasting room that was started by a group of friends forty years ago, and a grand tasting room located in the center of rolling fields of vines. Lunch, which is included in the price of the tour, will be served at the first winery. On the drive through the wine region, you will learn about California’s wine country, including the history of the wine industry in California, the geography of the region, and why the area is so perfect for growing grapes and producing wine.
- 7:30 am – 8:15 am: Pick up from your San Francisco hotel
- 8:30 am: Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge to Armstrong Redwoods Natural State Reserve
- 10 am: Arrive for a coffee break and Armstrong Redwoods
- 12 pm: Drive to the first winery for lunch and wine tasting
- 2:30 pm: Second winery visit
- 3:30 pm: Third winery visit
- 4:30 pm: Start return to San Francisco with a wonderful stop in the Marin headlands for photos of the Golden Gate Bridge
- 6 pm: Arrive in San Francisco and your hotel
- Note: tour times are approximate