Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco offers an irresistible food tour in the cultural hotspot of Chinatown. Explore the remarkable and historic ethnicity, culture and foods that define Hong Kong and mainland China. Taste authentic Cantonese, Mandarin and Szechuan cuisine from five Chinese owned and operated restaurants, food establishments and ethnic bakeries. Our expert foodies have done extensive and delicious research to offer you the ultimate Chinatown Food Tour. The tastes, traditions, and old-world class of these landmark establishments are a true San Francisco experience.
Let us tease your taste buds with the sweet and savory flavors of delectable authentic Chinese cuisine! Our 3-hour Chinatown Walking Food Tour includes:
- A variety of five delicious foods from the best specialty food stores to ethnic eateries
- Our fun, fascinating, and knowledgeable tour guide will divulge tidbits of information only locals know
- Walk hidden streets and alleys where we might be the only people on the street.
- Hear fun and interesting stories about the Chinese immigrants arrival in SF, The Tong Wars, Chinese architecture and more...
- Visit the Chinese Fortune Cookie Factory, the oldest Buddhist Temple in SF and an authentic Chinese market
- Taste a variety of styles of Chinese cuisine, including the best baked bun, dim sum and egg tart all without waiting in the long lines. Flavorful food specialties are served from five of the following places: (subject to change)
- New Hollywood Bakery & Restaurant: Our favorite light and buttery buns filled with barbecue-flavored cha siu pork. (est. 1991)
- Bund Shanghai: Traditional Shanghai-style cuisine
- Grant Place: Local favorite known for Hong Kong style dim sum and Chinese specialties
- Hunan House: The distinctive flavors of Hunan cuisine
- AA Bakery & Café: Freshly made, out of the oven, Hong Kong style egg tarts cooked to a smooth flan-like perfection with a buttery flakey crust (est. 2002)
- Z&Y Restaurant: Chef Han has grown in reputation by preparing food for presidents and foreign ministers of the people’s republic of China (est. 2008)
Behind every great food establishment in this city there is an equally great story of history, tradition and even innovation. On our Chinatown Food Tour, you’ll discover these amazing histories while tasting what has made these Chinese restaurants and bakeries so prized among locals.
About Sidewalk Tours...
The story behind Sidewalk Food Tours of San Francisco goes back three years. Two friends with a deep love of food, history and the city of San Francisco found themselves constantly taking friends and family on private walking tours. One day a friend of theirs said, "You guys always give us such informative and delicious food tours. You should start a food tour company, so other people will be able to enjoy your tours as much as we do." And the rest, as they say, is history. Our goal is to provide exceptional walking food tours of San Francisco, so people will revisit these neighborhoods with confidence and enjoy the array of cultural options they have to offer. We're self-proclaimed foodies. We've made it our mission to eat our way through San Francisco, doing a lot of delicious research ( and some not so appetizing) to bring you the best food options San Francisco has to offer. There is no better way to learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood than to eat its food. The food, and the people who prepare it, tell a story about the neighborhood. Tease your taste buds and join us in either the old Italian enclave of North Beach; the oldest neighborhood in San Francisco, the Mission District; and the historic and fascinating Chinatown. We will eat foods from decades-old establishments, which have stood the test of time, as well as newer places with award-winning chefs. Join us on a real foodie adventure as we eat our way through these delicious neighborhoods and uncover the off-the-beaten-path food spots of San Francisco. Happy Eating!