DO THIS BECAUSE...
- Ride along the Via Traiana, an ancient route that connected Brindisi to Rome
- Bike through the countryside and its beautiful old-century olive trees
- Enjoy a comfortable and relaxing bike tour running along the adriatic coast
- Discover history through Byzantine iconography in cave churches
WHAT TO EXPECT
This tour represents an extraordinary opportunity for those who love discovering new and fascinating places, infused with history, culture and tradition. A morning dedicated to the archaeological discovery among cave settlements and churches. An alternative way to admire the Adriatic coast by bike. You will see a symbiosis of tones where the blue of the sea merges with the green of the centenary olive trees, symbol of the Mediterranean. The Byzantine iconography of several cave churches add further nuance. History seems to be compressed in this strip between the sea and land: a space that reminiscent of the splendor of Magna Graecia.
Places visited: Monopoli/Capitolo/Savelletri
Length and duration: about 35 km, 4 hours.
Difficulty: Easy. The route doesn't have any particular difficulties because it is almost flat. It is on a paved road and along cycle paths and contradas/countryside roads, mainly in contact with nature for a relaxing tour. Suitable for families with children and babies, seniors, thanks to the use of e-bikes (adults/children model) and for the possibility to add a children's seat.
POINTS OF INTEREST ALONG THE TOUR:
• Monopoli's historic centre. The city still preserves those distinctive traits that make it one of the most authentic and fascinating maritine cities in Puglia. Visit to the Cathedral of our Lady of Madia, to the Saint Mary Amalfitana Crypt and to the Charles V Castle.
• Visit to the rocky church of St. Andrew and Procopio. It is a thousand-year old cave church part of the old hypogeum settlement inhabited since ancient times.
• Savelletri. It is a seaside resort known for its typical small fishing port and ancient buildings located on the cliff called "white houses". The places mentioned are connected to each other by beautiful contradas and countryside roads, allowing tourists to discover unknown places. You will ride surrounded by the scent of nature, among olive groves and dry-stone walls, admiring breathtaking landscapes.
The e-bikes represent an alternative and eco-friendly means of transport fully respects the environment. They are designed to allow anyone (children and senior included) to cycle ride with no effort thanks to a smart electric engine that assists the pedal. These e-bikes can reach a maximum speed of 25 kilometers and hour, anything beyond that will cause them to work like normal bikes. The e-bikes can be used as standard bikes at any time.
E-bike technical features:
• light and easy to manipulate
• 60 kilometers of battery autonomy
• 5 speeds: up to 25 kilometers an hour
• 7 speed Shimano gear and high quality brakes
- E-bike rental (pedal assisted electric bike)
- E-bike delivery directly at the meeting point
- English/Italian speaking tour guide
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Everything not specified
- Extra personal costs
Car park in Via C.Colombo - 70043 Monopoli (BA) - Italy GPS Coordinates (in decimal degrees) --> Latitude: 40.9538293 Longitude: 17.3035218
WHAT TO REMEMBER
• No particular clothing recommendation: e-bikes are suitable for all and don't require particular skills. • The driver accident policy is not provided. Please contact us if you want to purchase it. • The service is covered by adequate insurance policy for damages to third parties. • Documents to bring: ID Card or Passport
On Tuesdays, from 5 April to 25 October 2016 Meeting point at 9:00 a.m. | Return at 1.30 p.m.
There are no reduced prices