Being the city with the largest active Jewish community of Central Europe, Budapest has much to show of its religious, artistic and historical background with a tangible heritage.
This Jewish heritage tour is for those people, who want to get an intimate tour revolving around the Hungarian Jewish culture and the incredible amount of Jewish heritage that Budapest has to offer. Your tour guide will lead you through the most important and exciting parts of the Jewish district, allowing you to get insights into the Jewish way of life and culture of Budapest. You will also have a good chance to have conversations and be informed by your professional local guide who knows a lot about Hungary's history, including their own personal experiences.
To fit your needs different types of Jewish Heritage Tours are available:
Duration: 2.5 hours long
- Jewish Museum with local guiding where you get acquainted with the Hungarian Jewish heritage through a unique collection of art pieces from Hungary and Eastern Europe. A separate room commemorates the Holocaust in Hungary.
- Interior visit of the Dohány Street Synagogue which is the largest operating synagogue in Europe and the second largest in the world.
- Martyrs’ Cemetery
- Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Park
- Tree of Life Memorial
- Heroes’ Temple – (outside visit)
- Jewish Centre where you can visit the Family Research Center
Duration: 4.5 hours long
All stops of the Essential tour then:
- Carl Lutz Memorial Park dedicated to the Swiss diplomat who is also known as Hungary’s Schindler
- Gozsdu Passage
- Orthodox Jewish Quarter
- Interior visit of the Kazinczy Street Synagogue
At the end of the tour (or in the break), you can enjoy a cake in a confectionery.