River North Food Tour
- Tease your taste buds and join this tour in the River North and Wicker Park neighborhoods.
- Eat foods from decades-old establishments, which have stood the test of time, as well as newer places with award-winning chefs.
- A real foodie adventure as you'll eat your way through these delicious neighborhoods and uncover the off-the-beaten-path food spots of Chicago
Come enjoy the luxury and opulence of the Magnificent Mile and Gold Coast on a River North Food Tour, a tour through the historically affluent River North neighborhood. This 3-hour walking tour offers a look into the history and culture of the neighborhood in between each of your 5 food tastings.
While our stops are subject to change, we usually stop to taste at five of the following food places:
- The Doughnut Vault (est. 2011) Food & Wine Magazine named it the best doughnut in America in 2012
- Lou Malnati's (est. 1971) Rudy Malnati is generally considered to be the inventor of Chicago deep-dish pizza
- Xoco (est. 2009) Top Chef Masters winner Rick Bayless is one of the best know chefs for Mexican cuisine in America
- Iberico (est. 1992) Serving you the most authentic tapas and regional specialties from all across Spain.
- Al's Beef (est. 1938) Founder Al Ferrari invented the sandwich in Chicago's Little Italy back in 1938
- Fabcakes Bakery (est. 2012) Delicious pastries inspired by the seasons
Your informative guide will point out examples of historic architecture and beautiful public spaces that help make the River North neighborhood one of Chicago's most notable. Whether you are a native Chicagoan or a visitor in town for just a few days, you're sure to delight in a River North Food Tour!
About Sidewalk Tours...
The story behind Sidewalk Food Tours of Chicago goes back three years. Two friends with a deep love of food, history and the city of Chicago found themselves constantly taking friends and family on private walking tours. One day a friend of theirs said, "You guys always give us such informative and delicious food tours. You should start a food tour company, so other people will be able to enjoy your tours as much as we do." And the rest, as they say, is history. Our goal is to provide exceptional walking food tours of Chicago, so people will revisit these neighborhoods with confidence and enjoy the array of cultural options they have to offer. We're self-proclaimed foodies. We've made it our mission to eat our way through Chicago, doing a lot of delicious research (and some not so appetizing) to bring you the best food options Chicago has to offer. There is no better way to learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood than to eat its food. The food, and the people who prepare it, tell a story about the neighborhood. Tease your taste buds and join us in the River North and Wicker Park neighborhoods. We will eat foods from decades-old establishments, which have stood the test of time, as well as newer places with award-winning chefs. Join us on a real foodie adventure as we eat our way through these delicious neighborhoods and uncover the off-the-beaten-path food spots of Chicago. Bon voyage!
- All food tastings are included
- Feel free to bring a bottled beverage and some establishments will provide water
We will be meeting in front of the main entrance to The Merchandise Mart. (222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza, Chicago, IL 60654) Look for the statues that look like giant Pez dispensers (Merchandise Mart Hall of Fame) They are located along the Chicago River. Please meet the tour guide 15 minutes early.
River North (Chicago, IL)
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and cash is not accepted. Please make sure you purchase tickets well in advance of your desired tour date, as our tours sell out quickly. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- A minimum number of 4 participants is needed for this tour to run
- Tours are given rain or shine. A good portion of our time is spent walking outdoors. However, on our food tasting tours, we do spend time inside establishments, so you will not be subject to the elements the entire tour.
- We do a fair amount of walking on our tours. You should dress casually and wear comfortable shoes or sneakers.
- You will taste foods from 5 different specialty shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants. Most people say it's enough food for lunch. We suggest individuals with large appetites, see how they feel after the tour, and order a dish from their favorite tasting.
- Please be sure to let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, allergy, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. All tastings are prepared in advance at each location, based on the information you provided to us at the time of ticket purchase. Please be sure to purchase your tickets in advance so that we have adequate time to prepare your tasting substitutions. Last minute dietary changes on the tour will not be accommodated. We apologize for the inconvenience. Our tastings are designed to bring you the best of what each renowned food establishment has to offer. In particular, at locations that specialize in traditional, family recipes, there isn’t always a “next best” option we can offer that will meet your specific dietary needs. If you HAVE SEVERE FOOD ALLERGIES please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We do not offer vegan or gluten-free substitutions. If you are vegan or gluten-free please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We have vegetarian options on our food tours. Be sure to let us know, well in advance, and we will make the appropriate substitutions.
- The majority of the food tastings are not guaranteed kosher. If you keep kosher please contact us or call us at 877-56-TOURS before purchasing tickets for any of our food tours.
- We're on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a casual pace and stand in place for a few minutes at various attractions. The streets are flat, but you will have to walk up small stairs at some of the establishments. Please let us know in advance, if you have difficulty walking up a few flights of stairs, and we will make arrangements for you.
- The tour route is wheelchair accessible. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it may have to remain outside if the food establishment is busy.
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides make learning about the history, culture, and foods of the neighborhoods we visit interesting, informative, and fun. Please gauge whether or not you think this tour is appropriate for your child. Children under the age of 5 are free, unless they're going to participate in all of the food tastings. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it will have to remain outside, if the food establishment is busy.
- Pets are not allowed on any of our food tasting tours. Chicago law prohibits pets from entering an establishment that serves food or drink.
- This tour runs every Friday and Saturday at 11.00
On this architectural walking tour, step inside magnificent lobbies, corridors and the underground P...
You'll get the best view and experience the greatest perspective on Chicago with this admission tick...
Chicago’s Chinatown is located right near The Loop Historic District and is dense with popular resta...
Deck the halls with Christmas cheer on this holiday-themed food walking tour around Chicago! Begin y...
Soaring 1,000 feet over Michigan Avenue, 360 CHICAGO is one of the city’s most unique attractions. L...
Satisfy every craving on this slow-paced and delicious food walking tour around Chicago's most belov...
This tour will take you through one of the most architecturally striking and culturally dynamic citi...
Go on a historic Chicago pub crawl with an educational twist! Explore Chicago’s entertainment histor...
On this tour you will experience what it's like to ride around the lively city of Chicago on a Segwa...
Remember that time when you were little and one of your imaginary friends took your hand and led you...