- Miquel Barcelo. Metamorphosis - 27 Jan. - Sep. 2021
Taking its name from Franz Kafka’s famous story published in 1915, Metamorphosis presents almost 100 works produced by Miquel Barceló between 2015 and 2020. The selection at Museo Picasso Málaga will include paintings, works on paper, ceramics, notebooks and bronzes.
The centrepiece of the exhibition is a selection of more than 30 ceramics whose main feature is their colourfulness and constantly transforming shapes - lacerated, fragmented and pierced - in which we can see figurative elements that hint at plants and aquatic creatures and suggest tongues, petals, fins and leaves, and which, at times, have anthropomorphic features. Amongst these works are the Totems, a new series of large-format ceramics made from superimposed blocks that are reminiscent of classical architecture and characters from mythology. Metamorphosis also includes a small selection of large-format paintings from several recent series, including landscapes of nocturnal and marine paintings, a burnt-looking self-portrait, and pictures with relief forms of animals that hark back to cave paintings.
Metamorphosis also contains a selection of travel notebooks used in Thailand and India, countries that Barceló has visited frequently over the past few years, along with two series of watercolours painted in both these Asian countries and which feature heightened colour and an idealized world, evocative of myths and legends.
Attractions & guided tours
Museo Picasso Málaga temporary exhibitions skip-the-line tickets
Language: English , Spanish
Availability: On selected dates
Mobile voucher accepted
Safety measures applied
SKIP THE LINE
Do this because
- Discover the exhitbition "Miquel Barcelo. Metamorphosis"
- Enjoy a collection of incredible artworks in Málaga
- Save time to visit the Museo Picasso Málaga with your skip-the-line tickets
What to expect
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
- Entrance ticket (temporary exhibitions)
- Audio guide (English and Spanish). In cases where admission is free, there will be a charge for this service of € 1
What's not included
- Entrance to the permanent collection
- Seniors (age 65+)
- Children (age 0-15): free admission
Palacio de Buenavista c/ San Agustín, 8. 29015 Málaga
Museo Picasso Málaga
What to remember
- Free admission: every Sunday the last two opening hours (up to 30 minutes before closing time), Day of Andalusia (28 February), International Museum Day (18 May) and World Tourism Day (27 September)
- Please refer to the calendar for updated starting times and availability
- Christmas: 24 and 31 December and 5 January, 10.00am to 3.00pm
- Closed on 25 December, 1 and 6 January
Museo Picasso Málaga
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Unfortunately, we can't offer you a refund nor can we change or cancel your booking for this particular product, due to our partner's policy.