- Discover Rome's hidden sites, some not usually open to the general public
- Learn about Rome's history from an expert guide
- Explore the underground ruins beneath the Specchi building
The restoration of a 17th-century building of municipal property has helped to bring to light structures of the imperial age. They will keep for about 15 m in height corresponding to four floors: two below the current level, to a depth of 9 m, and two above the ground. It is a large complex of structures, whose first step consists of rooms on two floors, covered with a barrel vault, placed on the narrow service roads parallel to the trend of the river and around some courtyards.
The compartments were part of a large complex of warehouses built in an area that in the last decades of the century. A.D. received a commercial district, perhaps the Horrea Vespasiani, that Domitian had built in this area located along the river. The building underwent a complete renovation at the beginning of the third century. A.D. with the inclusion of large halls, other stores and homes, raising the level to at least four floors in height.
The entire complex underwent a further reconstruction following a fire (probably the one occurred in 283) which had caused damage to the structures. Some areas of the complex are decorated with some black and white mosaic floor with geometric patterns, which are an example of figurative repertoire mosaic spread in Rome and Ostia in the Severan period. To the same complex located under the Specchi building belongs another mosaic with the image of Mercury and Abundance among the four seasons, which was found in 1870 and preserved in the Capitoline Museums.
- Archaeologically-literate guide
- Tips and gratuities
- Transportation from hotel
- Child (0-12): free
Piazza Navona, 88, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
At Navona Square, in front of Bar Cafè Domiziano
- This tour is unsuitable for people in wheelchairs or with walking disabilities
- Please wear comfortable shoes
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes prior to departure
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants
- November-March: Wednesday and Friday at 10.30am
- April-October: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 10.30am
Discover the masterpieces of Rome on this tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter'...
Don't miss the romantic atmosphere of past times of the Serenissima Venice! Join this sightseeing to...
Admirez le coucher du soleil sur les toits de Rome et profitez de l'atmosphère romantique de la vill...
Roma, la città eterna tra arte, storia e cultura. Tradizione di benessere basata sul concetto di spa...
Begin your tour with a visit to one of the oldest churches in Rome, dedicated to Theotokos (Mother o...
Esplora il mercato locale e le storiche botteghe alimentari romane ed acquista i migliori ingredient...