Self-guided tour of Tsarevets Fortress with entrance ticket
- Explore the monument at your own pace
- Enjoy spectacular views of the city from the front steps
- Learn about the history of the fortress with your e-guide
Dating to the 12th century, this strategic fortress is one of two highly fortified hills (Trapezitza being the other) that protected Bulgarian rulers living on the site in the tsar’s palace. Explore the historical monument and enjoy the city views from the front steps.
Tsarevets Museum is located on Tsarevets Hill, which has been settled since time immemorial due to its strategic location. Thracians and Romans has used the location for defensive reasons, however, Byzantines built the first fortress here between the 5th and 7th centuries AD.
The fortress was rebuilt and fortified by the Slavs and Bulgars between the 8th and 10th centuries, and again by the Byzantines in the early 12th century. When Tarnovgrad became the Second Bulgarian Empire’s capital, the fortress was truly magnificent, but with the Turkish invasion in 1393, it was sacked and destroyed.
- Entrance ticket
- Food and drinks
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Children aged (0-7): Free
Tsar Asen Square, 5000 Tsarevets, Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
Enter the Tsarevets Fortress with your ticket anytime during open hours.
- Unfortunately the grounds are not wheelchair acccessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Your e-guide will be sent to your email, where your can download directly onto your personal device
- To recieve the e-guide please contact the tour operator directly, you will find their email and phone number on your voucher after checkout
From November to March:
- Daily from 9.00am to 5.00pm
From April to October:
- Daily from 8.00am to 7.00pm
Take a Pokemon-walking tour of Sofia as your expert Pokemon guide shows you all the Pokemon Shops an...
Go kayaking downstream in quick-flowing waters, feel the rush of adrenaline and enjoy the nature. Fe...
Take a full-day trek to the Rila Mountains to leasurely walk among the nature of it's Seven Rila Lak...
Enjoy the Halkata hike also known as "The Ring," with a professional guide and hotel pick-up from Sl...
Enjoy a day in the Open Air Ethnographic Museum ETAR. Do you want to feel the whiff of the past, see...
This unique Pokémon tour will lead you in one of the most beautiful cities situated on three hills, ...