Alone in St. Mark's Basilica: after hours tour
- Exclusive after-hours access to St. Mark's Basilica, Venice's most famous site
- Feel privileged as a Basilica guard will unlock the doors for you to explore special areas
- See the 43,000 square feet of illuminated mosaics; even more breathtaking lit up at night
- Delve into the history of St. Mark's and of Venice with your enthusiastic, English-speaking guide
See St. Mark’s like almost no one else… almost alone! Explore the most famous sight in Venice and one of the most magnificent churches in the world without the lines or crowds. A Basilica guard unlocks the doors just for Walks of Italy and its small groups of maximum 15 participants. It’s the ultimate in VIP treatment, and the most exclusive way to visit St. Mark’s Basilica - it will be an experience you will never forget!
Your guide meets you at St. Mark’s Square. Through thrilling anecdotes and swashbuckling stories, learn about the history of Venice and St. Mark’s Basilica—like how it received its precious relics via a 9th-century kidnapping!
But then comes the real treat. All of the passersby will wonder where you’re going as a custodian unlocks the basilica’s doors for you and Walks of Italy’s small groups of maximum 15 clients… And walks you right in.
Inside, take a deep breath. You’re experiencing St. Mark’s Basilica as almost nobody else does, or ever has ever been able to (aside from the Doge himself) empty! No standing elbow-to-elbow with other tourists, no seeing the church as if through a strobe light from hundreds of popping flashbulbs, no noise from the crowds. Instead, you’re alone with your guide and the custodian. So you can experience the basilica as it should be experienced: in tranquility and peace.
You will also visit the Pala d’Oro, the spectacular, Byzantine altarpiece that uses more than 1,900 gems! During the day, there’s a line to see this, but now? You have it almost all to yourself.
Since you’re alone in the basilica with Walks of Italy groups only, you can even go where others, visiting during the day, can’t. Like the crypt, which the custodian unlocks for you: This is where the bones of St. Mark are said to actually be kept. Plus, you can see the stained walls here from the past floods that have devastated Venice - the crypt used to be flooded every time the high tide hit the city!
Aside from the emptiness of the basilica, nighttime is the best time to visit because that’s when the mosaics are at their most beautiful. All 43,000 square feet are lit up, glimmering and sparkling in the dark!
If just seeing the basilica this way weren’t entrancing enough, there’s also your guide, an expert who’s passionate about Venetian art and history - and about sharing it with you in the most fun way possible. You’ll hear the tale of how St. Mark’s became St. Mark’s, a story that pivots on a kidnapping and and a dangerous sea voyage! You’ll learn where the precious marbles decorating St. Mark’s really come from…
A one-hour tour that will give you memories which will last a lifetime!
- St. Mark's Basilica
- Pala d'Oro
- St. Marks' Basilica Crypt
- St. Mark's Square
- Out of hours access to St. Mark's Basilica
- Expert local tour guide
- Small groups of 15 people or fewer
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Infants (0-3): free (no reservation required)
- Children (4-12): reduced price
Piazza San Marco, 619, 30124 Venezia VE, Italy
Meeting Point: Just outside the entrance of the Correr Museum on Piazza San Marco, 30124 Venice
Meeting Point Directions:On St.Mark's square at the opposite side of the Basilica you will find the Correr Museum entrance underneath the portico.
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory
- The tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure
- The basilica is a holy place and attire must be appropriate: Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. The tour operator cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to im-proper dress
- Backpacks are prohibited inside of St. Mark's Basilica
- This tour runs rain or shine
Meeting Times: 6.45pm / 7.00pm / 7.45pm / 8.00pm
Departure Times: 7.00pm / 7.15pm / 8.00pm / 8.15pm
NOTE: If several tour departure times are available, please select specific tour departure time at time of booking.
You can’t go to Venice without visiting St. Mark’s Basilica and the Doge's Palace, the city’s two to...
Embark on a gondola ride through the Grand Canal where you will see wondrous beauty and culture in e...
Excursion to the Venetian Lagoon for the visit of islands famous for the handcrafts: Murano for the ...
Take a walk outdoors (no entries) through the most characteristic and important places for the histo...
The gondola is one of the main symbols of Venice, as emblematic of the famous water city as mysterio...
Jump with us behind the scenes of the Doge’s Palace of Venice and deviate from the touristic routes ...
Escape the crowds, visiting the top sights of Venice from the water. Tour the Grand Canal by luxury ...
Your Venice ghost walking tour features a delightful sightseeing route through the Hidden Venice, th...
A thrilling murder hunt that will take you to the Venice of the 19th century through history and evo...
During this 2.5-hour private tour your expert guide will take you through the most important and int...