Venice and the Orient: walking tour and coffee tasting
- Discover Venice's historical relationship with Middle Eastern culture
- Hear the story of Marco Polo where he began his historic journey to the East
- Admire the colorful stalls of the Rialto markets
- Learn about the influence of oriental trade on medieval Venice
Explore areas of Venice steeped in the intriguing atmospheres of the Orient and visit the oldest Jewish ghetto in Europe, where the Jewish community of Venice still resides today. During this 2-hour, small-group walking tour a guide helps you discover the legacy left in the East-West trading hub as you pass the Canareggio district, Rialto Bridge Market and Marco Polo’s house. Finish with one of the floating city's most beloved imports — a coffee. Numbers are limited to 15 people for a personalized experience.
Precious clothes and spices imported from the Orient filled Venetian markets during the Middle Ages. The merchants of Venice, however, brought back with them much more than material goods from the East. This 2-hour guided tour will show you the influence of oriental trade on the life and architecture of medieval Venice.
Starting from Campo San Bortolomio, we will walk to Rialto Bridge and visit a centuries-old fish and vegetables market laid out in the characteristic arrangement of a Middle-Eastern souk. We then arrive at Campiello del Milion, where Marco Polo’s house once stood and from where he set off on his epic journey to the East.
We then continue towards the Cannaregio district, admiring along the way the Church of the Abbey of Misericordia and the Madonna dell’Orto with its mix of Eastern and Renaissance influences.
The next stop will take you into the Venetian Ghetto, a corner of the city strongly imbued with influences of the East. The tour then concludes in the heart of Venice, with a visit to one of its most historic coffee houses. Enjoy a good coffee in the city where this famous beverage made its first appearance in Italy in the 15th century!
- Entrance fees
- 1 espresso per person
- Guided visit
- San Bartolomeo Square, in front of Goldoni statue
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 10 minutes before the tour departure time
- Not refundable, not exchangeable tickets
- This is a collective tour
- The tour will take place with a minimum of two participants.
- Please note that we cannot guarantee that the whole tour is accessible to people with limited mobility
- From April 1st to October 31st
- Monday, Friday, Saturday
Découvrez les heures calmes de Venise, le meilleur moment pour faire l'expérience de la véritable cu...
La région de Venise est riche de nombreux vins parmi les meilleurs d'Italie. Si vous séjournez à Ven...
Venise peut se targuer d'une histoire de la production textile qui a presque mille ans. La visite co...
Au cours des XVIIème et XVIIIème siècles, selon les estimations, il y avait près de 8 000 à 10 000 g...
Selon les estimations, au cours des XVIIème et XVIIIème siècles, il y avait près de 8 000 à 10 000 g...
Vivi la tua esperienza di guida in pista, diventa tu il pilota per un giorno alla guida dell'auto de...