Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial guided tour
- Visit the former Sachsenhausen concentration camp
- Learn more about its history as the brutal training ground for SS
- Listen to how life was for the prisoners and how some survived
- See the foundations of Station Z, the "mass execution facility"
- Get to know what changed, and what didn't change, with the arrival of the Soviets
At the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, just outside Berlin, tens of thousands of prisoners perished at the hands of the Nazis in conditions of appalling brutality. The camp was a training ground for the SS and the site of the headquarters of the whole concentration camp system. After the Nazis were defeated, the Soviets used Sachsenhausen as a camp for their own political enemies – thousands more were to perish over the following five years.
Your guide will unravel the complex history of the Holocaust and shed light on all aspects of the former camp:
- Why the Sachsenhausen concentration camp was established by the Nazis
- How life was like as a prisoner and how some of the detainees were able to survive
- How the conditions in the camp worsened in 1939
- Where the thousands of Jewish prisoners were incarcerated after the so-called “Kristallnacht”, before being sent to the death
- How the SS used the execution complex at Sachsenhausen to perpetrate acts of mass murdering
- How some Jewish prisoners survived by working in the forgery workshop, counterfeiting millions of pounds sterling
- How some prisoners were subjected to excruciating medical experiments
- how the Soviets turned Sachsenhausen into a Special Camp for their own enemies after the war
- How the East German regime manipulated the history of the camp for its own ends
- Guided tour
- Train ticket
- Food and drinks
- Child (0-11 years): free
- Youth (12-18 years): reduced
- Senior (65+ years): reduced
Neue Promenade 5, 10178 Berlin
In front of the Weihenstephaner Restaurant
- The tour runs with any kind of weather, please be approrpiately dressed
- Please note, there is no possibility to buy food or drinks at the memorial (bring with you what you need)
- April 1st – October 13th: every day
- October 14 – March 31sy: every day except Monday
- Starting time: 10:00am
Enjoy moving classical music presented by the Berlin Residence Orchestra in the stylish and historic...
You need to relax between one tour and the other, but you don't want to stop sightseeing? So come an...
Stranded behind the iron curtain for nearly 40 years, West Berlin developed its own unique identity ...
Perfect for all first-time Berlin explorers and for those that want to experience the beautiful city...
First time in Berlin? This is the perfect tour for you! Visit all of Berlin’s most famous sights and...
Experience the surrealistic world of Salvador Dalí, let an experienced guide show you the artwork of...