Kick off your day tour from Edinburgh with a trip along the historic Dere Street and learn how it was once connected the supply ports of southern England to modern day Scotland before arriving at your first stop of the day. Jedburgh is a border town which is dominated by a magnificent 12th century Augustinian Abbey. You'll have time to stroll around the narrow streets and visit the impressive ruin before continuing south to the picturesque Carter Bar on the edge of the Cheviot Hills. This crossing point between Scotland and England runs close to the ancient Roman road and has formed the border between the two countries for the past 700 years. You'll pass through the magnificent forests of Northumberland National Park, taking in the stunning countryside, before heading towards Hadrian's Wall. This is your chance to experience what life was like for the Roman foot soldiers as they guarded their empire from the 'barbarians' of the north! You'll have time to discover the Steel Rigg and explore sections of the wall or the remains of the Roman settlements before this tour heads north again.
Hadrian's Wall, Roman Britain and the Borders small group day tour
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: up to 11 hours
Subject expert guide
Do this because
- Explore the incredible Hadrian’s Wall and see what life was once like
- Discover the beauty of the Scottish Borders
- Learn the history of Scotland and one of its most famous relics
What to expect
- Guided tour
What's not included
- Entry fees to attractions
- Children (age 5-15)
Rabbie's Café, 6 Waterloo Place, Edinburgh EH1 3EG
Please meet your guide at Rabbie's Café.
What to remember
- Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes prior to departure
- The weather in Scotland is often wet and cold, please dress appropriately and wear suitable shoes
- Children aged 5 to 15 must be accompanied by an adult
- Children under 5 are not permitted on this tour
- This tour runs daily and departs at 8.15am
Rabbie's Small Group Tours
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the activity begins.