- Spend a day surrounded by the beauty of the Painters’ Valley
- Enjoy a train ride through woods, pastures and mountain villages
- Admire wild mountains, streams, waterfalls and alpine landscapes
- Discover crafts and local traditions at small villages
- Taste the local food products
- Enjoy a unique gourmet experience
The train from Milan leaves at 8.29 am and takes you to Domodossola, a small town at the foot of the Alps, partly following the enchanting coastline of Lake Maggiore. Once in Domodossola, you will meet your tour leader who will show you around: the first stop will be the Market Square, the Renaissance heart of the town, with palaces and 14th century arcades, that alone is worth this trip. You can enjoy this small town atmosphere by having a cappuccino at one of the cafès in the square, an ice cream at the best “gelateria” in town or by exploring the nearby alleyways. Chocolate lovers cannot miss a visit to a chocolate shop where you would be engulfed by the chocolate scent coming from the adjacent laboratory. Buying chocolate and having a chat with the owner is in itself an interesting experience.
At 11.25 am you will board the panoramic train that takes you to Santa Maria Maggiore, the main village of the Val Vigezzo known also as the Painters’ Valley or the Chimney Sweep Valley. The valley casts a spell on its visitors at every time of the year; admire the intense green of the summer, the gold and red leaves in autumn, the white snowy landscape in winter and the thousand shades of spring blooms. The train ride to Santa Maria Maggiore lasts 50 minutes and then you can continue your gourmet experience by tasting the local street food, the stinchett, a thin layer of puff pastry cooked on a hot-plate and seasoned with local butter and salt, to be enjoyed with a glass of wine. You will not be disappointed either by lunch with the Chimney Sweep menu at a restaurant in the village center.
In the afternoon, you will have time to explore the village shops offering the best of the local handicraft. The village houses the Chimney Sweep Museum and the House of Perfume celebrating the emigrants who invented and merchandised the famous “Eau de Cologne” and who were born in Santa Maria Maggiore. The Museum and the House of Perfume are open only in the summertime but you will not be disappointed in case you travel when they are closed because your tour leader will introduce you to the local people who will be happy to tell you about their village and their valley of which they are deservedly proud.
At 3.53pm take the panoramic train back to Domodossola and the connecting train to Milan where you will arrive at 6.30pm
- Round-trip train tickets Milan - Domodossola
- Round-trip train tickets on a panoramic train from Domodossola to S. Maria Maggiore
- Break with local street food and a glass of wine
- Typical lunch including a quarter of liter of wine, coffee (no water)
- Assistance of a tour leader
- Drinks and meals not mentioned in included
- Entrance fees if applicable
- Booking fee on the panoramic train if applicable
Piazza Duca d'Aosta, 1, 20125 Milano MI, Italy
You will depart from Milan Central railway station and you'll meet your tour leader upon arrival at the train station in Domodossola in front of the ticket counters. The tour leader will hold a board with the name Stile italiano Tours
- On peak periods an advance booking on the panoramic train is necessary. In this case you will have to pay on site a supplement of €4 each way (total 8€ per person)
- Admission to the Chimney Sweep Museum € 2 per person - optional
- Round-trip train tickets Milan-Domodossola will be sent to you via email 2 days before the tour date. You do not have to print the tickets but you need to be able to open the pdf file on a mobile device (tablet, smartphone) and show it to the ticket inspector
- There is no penalty if you cancel at least 7 days in advance
- There is 50% cancellation fee if you cancel between 3 and 6 days in advance
- No refund for cancellations made within 2 days of the start of the activity
- Departure every Tuesday at 08.29am from the Central Railway Station in Milan
- Return to Milan Central Railway Station at 06.31pm
Tauchen Sie ein in Turins bezaubernde Atmosphäre auf dieser speziell gestalteten Tagestour, die einz...
Entdecken Sie die schönsten Orte und Landschaften in der Lombardei mit Trenord. Der Discovery Train ...
Entdecken Sie eindrucksvolle Orte in Mailand, die ungerechterweise nicht so viel Aufmerksamkeit erha...
Nehmen Sie teil an einer exklusiven Führung durch das Herzen Mailands. Die Tour bringt Sie zum berüh...
Wählen Sie diese 2-stündige Führung zu Fuß und lernen Sie Mailands überraschende Seite der Renaissan...
Entdecken Sie die bemerkenswerte Weinregion Franciacorta mit ihren Weinbergen und ihrer atemberauben...
Gerade am Flughafen angekommen? Kein Stress! Ihr Fahrer wird mit einem Schild mit Ihrem Namen vor de...
Gönnen Sie sich dieses fantastische Paket, das zwei der faszinierendsten Städte Norditaliens an eine...
Dal 21 giugno il Mudec di Milano ospita “Corpus” la retrospettiva dedicata all’artista messicano Jav...
Gönnen Sie sich ein thermales Bad, in einem der berühmtesten Spas der Welt. Die QC Terme San Pellegr...