Tickets and guided tour of the Catacombs of San Gaudioso
- Discover the second oldest cemetery in Naples, preserved under the imposing Basilica of S. Maria della Sanità
- Admire a unique, peculiar and fascinating place
- Walk the underground paths surrounded by 17th century tombs of noble Neapolitans
- Take part in the recovery and promotion of a whole area of Naples
Under the Basilica of St Mary of Health, the heart of the district, lies what was the second most important early Christian cemetery in the city.
The Catacombs were expanded following the burial of the North African bishop, deposed here between 451 and 453 AD. The San Gaudioso Catacomb is the second for size in Naples, and in it early Christian elements of the seventeenth century coexist. On one hand, the intensity of the early Christian elements, such as the tomb of San Gaudioso, frescoes and mosaics of the fifth and sixth centuries; on the other, special burials reserved for nobles, dating back to the seventeenth century, when the catacombs resumed their function of sepulchral site.
The San Gaudioso Catacomb keeps valuable frescoes and mosaics from the fifth and sixth centuries, in which many symbols can be found, mostly from the early Christian age, such as the fish, the lamb and the vine with tendrils.
In the seventeenth century, the site mostly housed burial sites reserved for the aristocracy and the clergy. The burials of nobles and members of the clergy were made according to a special process. The skulls were affixed on view in the corridor walls, while the rest of the body was painted, usually with clothes and tools of the trade that represented the social status of the deceased.
The frescoes were painted by Giovanni Balducci, an artist who gave up his compensation in exchange of the right of being buried among the aristocrats in the Catacombs of San Gaudioso.
- Guided visit of the Catacombs of San Gaudioso and the Basilica of St. Mary of Health (duration: 1 hour)
- With the same ticket you may also visit for free the Catacombs and the Basilica of San Gennaro
- Discounted entry to the cloister of Santa Chiara
- Reduced admission: children (6-18), students with student ID, people over 65 and carers of people with disabilities
- Free entry: Children (0-5) and people with disabilities
Via Sanità, 127, 80136 Napoli NA, Italy
The ticket office and the entrance to the Catacombs are both located inside the Basilica of St. Mary of Sanità
- We remind you that the ticket office will open at 9:30 am
- The guided tour of the Catacombs is available both in English and Italian
Every day, at every hour from 10 to 13 (last entry at 13:00)
Considered to be one of the must-see islands in the world and a popular destination for VIPs since t...
serie a: Napoli - Chievo Verona 25-11-2018 Via Luigi Tansillo, 25, 80125 Napoli NA, Italy Delivery T...
serie a: Napoli - Torino 17-02-2019 Via Luigi Tansillo, 25, 80125 Napoli NA, Italy Delivery Tickets ...
serie a: Napoli - Udinese 17-03-2019 Via Luigi Tansillo, 25, 80125 Napoli NA, Italy Delivery Tickets...
serie a: Napoli - Genoa 07-04-2019 Via Luigi Tansillo, 25, 80125 Napoli NA, Italy Delivery Tickets w...
serie a: Napoli - Atalanta 20-04-2019 Via Luigi Tansillo, 25, 80125 Napoli NA, Italy Delivery Ticket...