- Discover a fourteenth-century fortress built into the tufa rock
- Explore the star-shaped fortification and its museum
- Enjoy magnificent views from the summit
- A great day out from the hot centre of Naples
Enjoy one of the best views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples from the Castel Sant'Elmo on Vomero hill, 250 meters above sea level.
This medieval fortress is located on the old site of a church dedicated to St Erasmo (shortened to Elmo) and is also known as Belforte. It was the residence of King Charles d'Anjou, who renovated it in 1329.
Partly built into the volcanic tufa rock, the castle has a museum and hosts art exhibitions, shows, concerts and conferences.
- Admission to Castel Sant'Elmo
- Children under 18 years of age with valid identity
- Teachers of Italian nationality with a fixed-term contract (please bring valid proof of employment)
- Students in undergrad, masters, post grad or research degree in the following areas of study: architecture, cultural arts conservation, education or literature, and philosophy with a focus on archeology or art history
- Citizens of the EU from 18 through 24 years of age with valid identity
- Teachers in public schools within the European Union, with a permanent contract
Via Tito Angelini 20, 80139 Naples
- Admission to the museum is free on the first Sunday of the month
- The price breakdown is as follows: Full price ticket €5 + €2 presale; Reduced ticket €2.50 + €2 presale; Free ticket (Special reduced) €0 + €2 presale
- In order to take advantage of the discount/free admission, you must present a valid identity document at the ticket office. Visitors who fail to meet this requirement will not be admitted to the site.
- How to get there:
- Montesanto Funicular Railway: MORGHEN station
- Chiaia Funicular Railway: PIAZZA AMEDEO station
- Metro: Line 1 - VANVITELLI station
- ANM Bus: Line V1 - PIAZZALE SAN MARTINO stop
- Monday-Sunday 8.30am - 7.30pm (last admission at 6.30pm)
- Closed on Tuesdays and on 1 May and 25 December
Underground Naples is the city's most famous and fascinating route. Guides will take you on a journe...
Explore Naples with a 24-hour ticket valid for up to 2 routes on this panoramic hop-on hop-off sight...
Un itinerario lungo un miglio, alla scoperta dei tesori nascosti del Rione Sanità.Percorrere il Migl...
Originally intended as the residence for the Spanish King Philip III of Spain while on a visit, the ...
Overlooking the Gulf of Naples, Herculaneum became famous worldwide when the archaeological excavati...
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are located on two non-overlapping levels, both characterized by extrem...
Under the Basilica of St Mary of Health, the heart of the district, lies what was the second most im...
Discover the ancient heart of Naples on our incredible 2-hour walking and food tasting tour of this ...
Discover the wonders of the Amalfi Coast on this amazing guided day tour departing from Naples. This...
Just 30 minutes driving far from Amalfi and 1 hour from Positano you can join the peace of Tramonti,...