Oxford picnic cruise with glass of wine
- See the landmarks of the historical town of Oxford from the water
- Listen to commentary from park rangers, historians and scientists
- Discover Port Meadow, a famous inspirational site to C.S Lewis
- Enjoy a delicious picnic and glass of wine in nature
A river cruise is an easy and pleasant way to avoid the busy roads of the city centre while admiring the beauty of Oxford's historic spots, bridges, monasteries and other attractions. Enjoy this relaxing experience of exploring the city without ever leaving your seat! On this tour you will:
- learn about famous landmarks and buildings including Christchurch College and Meadows, the University boathouses and regatta course
- find out more about the Head of the River and Folly Bridge as as you listen to commentary from park rangers, historians and scientists
- spot, from the river, parts of historical Oxford rarely seen by visitors and which represent some of Oxford's most beautiful and intriguing scenery
- see Quaint Osney Island, well-loved allotments, gardens and the majestic and ancient Port Meadow
- see Port Meadow, a vast area of common land, which has remained almost unchanged since prehistoric times and offers a wide variety of plants and birds in their natural habitat
- see Godstow which was the favourite destination of Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll, who is famous for such novels as 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'
- spot the site of Trout Island there: it was an inspiration for another of Oxford's literary icons, C.S. Lewis, and his stories of the land of Narnia
You will have the opportunity to eat a delicious picnic provided by The Folly which will include (depending on availability):
- Potted Salmon, Crème Fraiche and Capers
- Pork Rilettes with Sage and Shallot
- Quinoa, Red Onion and Coriander Salad
- Mini Bread Loaf
- Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Loaf with Rocket and Pesto Dressing
- Chocolate Brownie
- Homemade Ginger Beer
- 2.5 hour sightseeing tour
- Short stop at Historic Perch Inn
- Picnic aboard
- Complimentary glass of wine
- 10% food discount at The Folly
- Pick up from hotel
- Children under 16 years old: reduced
The cruise departs from the moorings at The Folly, 1 Folly Bridge, Oxford, OX1 4JU
How to get there?
The closest available parking is at the Oxpens Car Park (OX1 1RQ). From this car park you can walk to the moorings at The Folly (OX1 4JU). The walk takes approximately 10 minutes, part of it along the river if you wish. However, as with all city centre car parks, it is quite expensive so you might want to avoid it if you are on a budget.
The most convenient service to Folly Bridge is Red Bridge (south of Oxford accessed from A34 and A423). Once you have parked, pay at the machine by the bus stop (currently £2 for up to 24 hours). You do not need to display a ticket on your car as a number plate recognition system is used. From either of these car parks take a nunber 300 bus (adult return fare currently £2.70) to Oxford Crown Court / Oxford Police Station in St Aldates. These bus stops are 3 minutes’ walk from Folly Bridge.
- Due to the popularity of this cruise and limited capacity it is strongly recommended to book in advance
- Unfortunately the tour is unable to accommodate wheelchairs
- This cruise operates from April 1 to October 30
- Departures are at 12.30pm and 6.00pm from May to August
- Departures are at 12.30pm in April, September and October
- The cruise lasts approximately 2.5 hours
Are you visiting Oxford but you only have a couple of hours? No worries! Just hop on board with this...
Escape the hustle and bustle of the busy London streets and discover the beautiful city of Oxford on...
To many, Oxford has long been associated with its famous University. However, for fans of Inspector ...
Oxford is one of England’s most renowned university cities and a private tour means you can explore ...
Home to the oldest University in Britain, Oxford is an architectural marvel. You'll get fantastic vi...
This guided small group tour from Oxford covers many of the main spots in the Cotswolds, while combi...