Cape Town half-day township cultural tour
- Learn more about the diverse cultures of Cape Town
- Visit the Bo-Kaap historic District 6 and Cape town's oldest township, Langa
- On Sunday morning tours, a short visit to one of the local churches is included
Get ready for a unique experience, traveling through the three South Africa’s – The birth, where it all started, Apartheid South Africa, what happened then – the New South Africa, what is different since Nelson Mandela was released from prison. Departing from Cape Town city center, the first stop on the tour is in the Bo Kaap. Here you'll learn about the arrival of an expedition of Dutch sailors in 1652 that proved to be a monumental turning point in South African history.
Taking a short walk along the romantic cobblestone streets between the brightly colored homes, your tour guide explains how the framework for racial segregation was established. Passing some of Cape Town’s landmarks, a short drive brings you to District 6 where the next tier in the South African story i.e. Apartheid South Africa is discussed. Once in District 6, you'll drive through the now decaying ruins of what once was a flourishing mixed-race community where 60 000 people lived and worked, but was demolished only to be reserved exclusively for white people.
The tour continues to Langa, the oldest Black African Township in Cape Town. Along the way, you'll learn about the restrictive legislation introduced by the Apartheid regime to enforce racial segregation. On arrival in Langa, there's time for a photo stop at the site that commemorates the student uprising of 1976; discuss the Pass Laws and the barracks built for African migrant workers.
If conducted on a Sunday morning, the tour includes a short visit to one of the local churches. Here guests are immersed into the charisma and vibrancy of how religion is practiced in the townships. You'll gain a greater understanding of Shanty Town that exploded with the massive migration of mothers and children into the cities restoring black dignity at the end of Apartheid.
- Tour with an English-speaking guide in a luxury vehicle
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Meals and beverages
- Children 2-11 years: reduced
This tour includes pick-up and drop-off service. Please share your hotel information during booking.
- Casual dress code and comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Children under 2 years are not permitted on the tour
- Children between 2-3 years are required to sit in a car seat. Car seats are subject to availability at the time of booking. Parents are welcome to bring their own car seat.
- Operates daily
- Start time: 9.00am
- Tour duration: approximately 3.5 hours
- Tour is not available 25-26 December and 1-2 January
The drive through the city center will take you along famous landmarks, like the Castle of Good Hope...
Winelands Full Day VisitEnjoy three wine tastings at award-winning wine farms, accompanied by a chee...
Witness the majestic Southern Right whales that come to the Cape each season to breed and calve. The...
This circular tour takes you over a mountain pass to the seaside town of Hermanus. This town, nestle...
The day begins with a look at the picturesque Bo-Kaap, the historic area that became home to many Mu...
Setting off along the northern side of the peninsula, your guide will share his knowledge of the are...