Beneath the bustle of Edinburgh’s Old Town you’ll discover a dark, damp world unchanged since the 18th century. Your expert guide will lead you deep into the Blair Street Underground Vaults, and together you’ll explore their history – including how they became home to the city’s most destitute inhabitants. It’s a story rooted in Edinburgh’s Georgian past – grand feats of engineering, the expansion of the city, and those left behind in its darkest corners. Why were the vaults built? Who used them? Save your questions for your guide, a masterful storyteller who will bring the history of the vaults to life, talking you through some of the artefacts that have survived. This walking tour takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, with time at the end in the Discovery Room – complete with 3D model and artefacts.
Attractions & guided tours
Historic underground walking tour of Edinburgh
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: up to 1 hour 15 minutes
Safety measures applied
Do this because
- Get exclusive access to the famous Blair Street Underground Vaults
- Discover secrets and stories of Edinburgh’s underworld
- See and touch 19th-century artifacts and visit the Discovery Room with 3D model and display
- Enjoy a personal tour in a small group
What to expect
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
- Walking tour with professional guide
- Children (5-15 years)
- Seniors (60+ years)
- Students (with valid ID)
Mercat Cross, The Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1RF, United Kingdom
The Mercat Cross is an 8 sided monument situated on the Royal Mile. The tour departs from right in front of it.
What to remember
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the beginning of your tour
- Tour ends: Blair Street Underground Vaults, Blair Street, off Hunter's Square
- Family tickets cover 2 adults and 2 children between 5 and 15 years old
- Concession tickets apply to seniors and students, with a valid ID
- Children over five years of age are very welcome
- Sensible walking shoes are advised
- Daily at 2.00pm and 4.00pm
- Tour lasts about 1 hour and 15 minutes
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Unfortunately, we can't offer you a refund nor can we change or cancel your booking for this particular product, due to our partner's policy.