Underneath Edinburgh old town lurks a murky underworld of grim history, shady characters and unimaginable mystery. It's not enough just to read about it in some history book. The only way to find out what's really going on in the Vaults is to visit them yourself. You'll journey deep underground, exploring the former slums where the less-fortunate in society used to live, hearing tales of criminals, body snatchers and witches who would have ruled these parts. Each Vault you visit has its own tale to tell, so be sure to keep your wits about you as your guide tells you of gruesome goings-on and even takes you to a witches' temple. Be careful not to step inside the infamous stone circle, where many a mysterious event has taken place.
The Edinburgh Vaults tour
Mobile voucher accepted
Duration: up to 1 hour
Do this because
- Get a unique and gruesome perspective on Edinburgh from below
- Discover the underworld of the city's criminal past
- Visit a real witches' temple
What to expect
- Guided tour
- Children (under 16 years)
- Seniors (60+ years)
- Students (with valid ID)
- Military and disability
Bank of Scotland, 300 Lawnmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2PH, UK
Please meet your tour at the Tourist Information and Edinburgh Dungeons Police Box, Outside of the Bank of Scotland.
What to remember
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Please note that this tour is unfortunately not suitable for those with walking limitations, as due to the historic nature of the site there are no lifts or ramps available at our location and guests must enter the vaults by climbing a 2-foot tall step followed by a winding staircase.
- Children are allowed on most tours, though those under 16 years must be accompanied by an adult and due to the dark vaults and nature, these tours could be scary for younger children. If you are unsure feel free to call and ask further questions
- Tours will be limited to 16 people to allow for social distancing
- This tour departs daily at 12.00pm, 1.30pm, 3.00pm and 4.30pm
- The tour lasts approximately 60 minutes
AULD REEKIE TOURS LTD
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100 % refund if you cancel up to 1 day before the activity begins.