Lower East Side Food Tour
- Don’t fall for the culinary tourist traps when you’re in Manhattan!
- No waiting in line wrapped around the block for scrumptious delicacies
- The personalities of our native New Yorker tour guides will thrill and entertain you
Sidewalks of NY offers irresistible New York Food Tours in the cultural hotspot of the Lower East Side. Join us as we explore what was once an immigrant and working-class neighborhood rich in ethnic diversity and culture. Learn about the history of the tenement buildings occupied by the poor. The neighborhood is best known for having once been a center of Jewish culture. We will view historic synagogues as well as "nosh" on delicacies from the best "kosher style" delis and bakeries in the city.
On this 3 hour tour of the Lower East Side, we eat our way through the streets as we sample delicacies from New York's premier appetizing shop, ethnic eateries, and "mom and pop" restaurants, including:
- Mouthwatering food from century-old authentic Jewish delis and bakeries
- Explore the Lower East Side's historic tenement buildings and synagogues
- Visit an old-fashioned candy store serving the neighborhood since 1937
- Taste a tres leches and blackout cake doughnut from award winner Doughnut Plant NYC
- Learn about the culture and history of the neighborhood and its gentrification
- Check out the funky mix of trendy boutiques, mom-and-pop shops, and cozy cafes
Flavorful food specialties are served from: (subject to change):
- Yonah Schimmel’s Knish Bakery - (Est. 1910)
- Russ & Daughter’s - NYC’s premier appetizing shop (Est. 1914)
- Katz’s Delicatessen - The best delicatessen in New York (Est. 1888)
- Kossar's Bialys - The oldest bialy bakery in the United States (Est. 1936)
- The Pickle Guys - Pickles made the old-fashioned way. Try a new, half sour or full sour pickle. Pucker up!(Est. 2002)
- Doughnut Plant - Unique flavors and a mouthwatering family recipe (Est. 1994)
- North Dumpling - Authentic handmade northern Chinese dumplings
- Economy Candy - Stocking all types of candy, nuts & dried fruit from floor-to-ceiling. "Noshers' paradise of the Lower East Side." (Est. 1937)
Behind every great food establishment in this city there is an equally great story of history, tradition and even innovation. On our food tours in New York City, you’ll discover these amazing histories while tasting what has made these eateries so prized among locals.
About Sidewalk Tours...
The story behind Sidewalks of NY Tours began a decade ago, when it's founder, J.D. Hirsch started taking friends and family on walking tours of the city he loves. His biggest motivation was to make sure his guests experienced The TRUE New York. Through years of exploration, he had discovered the secret hideaways, and hidden gems that make New York unlike any other city in the world. He combed the streets, tasting authentic ethnic cuisines and culinary delights not found in any guide books. His lengthy walking adventures took him to dinky mom-and-pop specialty food shops, and ethnic eateries, which have stood the test of time. He began compiling a best of list in search of the best delicatessens, bagel and knish shops, coffee houses, bakeries, candy stores, hamburger joints, pizzerias, and so much more. A friend, who was visiting from out of town, noticed J.D.'s passion and enthusiasm showing people his discoveries, and suggested he start a walking tour business. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our mission at Sidewalks of NY Tours is to give exceptional walking tours of New York, so our customers will revisit these neighborhoods with confidence, and enjoy the various cultural options they provide. Our creative and fun itineraries, and friendly and knowledgeable tour guides are committed to making your tour the highlight of your stay in The Big Apple. Let us guide you on a journey to discover The True New York! Bon voyage!
- All food tastings are included
- One bottle of water will be provided
- Additional drinks will have to be purchased on your own
- Tip for your food tour guide. It is customary to tip your guide 15%-20% of the purchase price
The tour will meet in front of the Yonah Schimmel Knish Bakery located at 137 East Houston St, New York (10002). The closest subway stop is the 2nd Ave stop on the F train. You can also take the B, D, F, M to Broadway-Lafayette St and walk East along E Houston. If you are lost or running late, please call us at 877-568-6877. The tour ends in front of the Doughnut Plant (379 Grand St, between Essex and Norfolk St.)
East Houston and Forsyth Streets (New York, NY)
- Directions: The closest subway stop is the 2nd Ave stop on the F train. Exit the station and walk East on E Houston. The bakery will be located on the right between Forsyth and Eldridge Streets. You can also take the B, D, F, M to Broadway Lafayette. Walk East on E Houston St until you pass Forsyth St. The bakery will be on your right. The Delancey and Essex Municipal Parking Garage is located at 107 Essex St, between Delancey and Rivington and it's about a 5-minute walk to the tour meeting location (137 East Houston St). There is free street parking if you get very lucky. Read the signs for parking rules and restrictions
- Minimum purchase quantity: 2 tickets
- A minimum of 4 people is needed to run this tour experience
- Tickets must be purchased in advance and cash is not accepted. Please make sure you purchase tickets well in advance of your desired tour date, as our tours sell out quickly
- Tours are given rain or shine. A good portion of our time is spent walking outdoors. However, on our food tasting tours, we do spend time inside establishments, so you will not be subject to the elements the entire tour
- Please, dress casually and wear comfortable shoes or sneakers
- You will taste foods from 6 different specialty shops, ethnic eateries, and restaurants. Most people say it's enough food for lunch. We suggest individuals with large appetites, see how they feel after the tour, and order a dish from their favorite tasting
- Please let us know if you or anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (vegetarian, diabetic, peanut allergy, etc) when you purchase your tickets. If you let us know a couple of days prior to your tour, we can usually substitute a food tasting
- We're on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a casual pace and stand in place for a few minutes at various attractions. The streets are flat, but you will have to walk up small stairs at some of the establishments. Please let us know in advance, if you have difficulty walking up a few flights of stairs, and we will make arrangements for you
- Our friendly and knowledgeable tour guides make learning about the history, culture, and foods of the neighborhoods we visit interesting, informative, and fun. Please gauge whether or not you think this tour is appropriate for your child. Children under the age of 5 are free, unless they're going to participate in all of the food tastings. You may bring a stroller on the tour, but it will have to remain outside, if the food establishment is busy
- Pets are not allowed on any of our food tasting tours. New York law prohibits pets from entering an establishment that serves food or drink.
- Our Lower East Side Eats Food Tour is wheelchair and stroller accessible
- If you are running late: we will be leaving Yonah Schimmel Knish approximately 15 minutes after the start of the tour. Our next stop is in front of Russ and Daughters located at 179 East Houston. Approximately 30 minutes after the start time, we will be inside Katz's Deli located at 205 East Houston Street. We will be in the back section by the restrooms. You may call us at 877-56-TOURS to try to find the group. Please note there is no guarantee we will be able to get in touch with the guide as they will be conducting the tour
- On Mondays, starting at 10.00
- On Thursdays and Fridays, starting at 11.00
Gain a deeper understanding of 9/11 and its legacy with the expert knowledge of a local guide. This ...
Come along on your guided tour through one of New York City’s oldest neighborhoods and let your guid...
Discover an exciting world of graffiti taggers and street artists on this walking tour while viewing...
On this fun and informative two-hour tour, you will meet the women who shattered the glass ceilings ...
Discover the electrifying NYC nightlife with a dedicated host who knows the in's and out's of the Bi...
Explore the Big Apple and sightsee countless landmarks for 24 hours aboard a double-decker hop-on, h...